Lent is coming up and since I’m not religious I still try to give things up for lent. I think this is a great opportunity to get rid of things, re-evaluate the life you’ve led so far and actually quit doing something which is not easy for you. In my case it’s chocolate.
I tried and failed miserably for several years. My mom actually did give up chocolate for lent a couple of years ago and is „clean“ now. Heavenly. Since it would be a total desaster trying to quit chocolate (I just know myself too well by now), I thought of other things I could quit for lent. And I would like to give you a few ideas as well!
I came across the article „Sitting is the Smoking of Our Generation“ by the Harvard Business Review (http://blogs.hbr.org/2013/01/sitting-is-the-smoking-of-our-generation/) and it got me thinking. I don’t smoke. I think I lead a healthy-ish life. But I do sit a lot. A LOT. I have an office job and in my spare time I like reading (I usually sit while doing it) and smithing (which happens sitting on my workbench). Adding the 8+ hours I like to sleep, I might only walk or stand for 2 hours a day?! This is scary shit and I know it. I try to walk to the train station or even go by bike, but this only takes 10 or 5 minutes. NOT ENOUGH. I do like to jog or swim, but so rarely that I cannot remember the last time doing it. I know. It’s that bad. My flabby tummy nods silently.
Not only would I die earlier and I could suffer from heart attacks and stuff much more often than non-sitters, I simply do find it pretty hard to avoid sitting. What I could do:
- Leave the train a station earlier and walk the extra ten minutes to work
- Team up with a friend or training buddy to incorporate more walking or running into my daily life (think nordic walking or walking with small dumb bells for extra oomph)
- During lunch break I could walk briskly for ten to fifteen minutes and get my heart pumping
- Buy a treadmill or step machine which is used especially in front of the TV or while talking on the phone
- Instead of taking the public transport into the city, I could walk or go by bike
- Do everything of the above regularly
Yeah. I’ll try and report report back.
Keine Kommentare »
No comments yet.